(1) Fr. Paul Gabor, S.J., Ph.D., Vice-Director of the Vatican Observatory displayed IYL posters in Safford, Arizona on March 5 for an event there. The Diocesan Conference ("Co-Workers in the Vineyard") organized by the Diocese of Tucson at the Tucson Convention Center on Thu Mar 5 - Sat Mar 7. Number of participants: 2,000 (official estimate). The posters were a part of the Vatican Observatory's booth for the duration of the event.
(2) A Pi Day event was held to launch the International Year of Light at the Eastern Arizona College's Discovery Park Campus on Sat Mar 14. Number of participants: approx. 150. The posters were installed in the area where the celebration of the "Pi moment" took place at 9:26pm.
(3) IYL banners were displayed at a Super Pi Day event (first three photos) held March 14 in Tucson by many stakeholders in astronomy and science outreach education the area, namely Connie Walker and the Education and Public Outreach (EPO) students from National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO), DaNel Hogan and volunteers from the Office of the Pima County School Superintendent, Kat Hewey, Yasmine Straka, Cindy Smith and colleagues from the SY.STEM professional volunteers, David Lesser from Xerocraft hackerpace, Bruce Bayly from the University of Arizona Math Department and the Arizona Mathematics Roadshow, and the Numbers Lady (Rebecca Klemm). Each group had a few tables of activities for the families that came (about 75 people total). A little after 9pm about half the attendees went outside for measurements en mass for Globe at Night (e.g., sort of a flash mob) at 9:26pm and 53 seconds, making the event a truly ultra-super Pi Day.
(4) Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium From Friday, March 20 til Monday March 30, Light: Beyond the Bulb banners were displayed at Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium, in the care of Bill Plant, Director of Exhibits. 2163 visitors recorded. Photos are shown below. Location: 1601 E. University Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85721-8451
(5) On March 21, IYL banners were displayed at a Tucson Amateur Astronomy Association’s Fundamentals class on light pollution that Dr. Walker taught with an NOAO EPO student.
(6) On March 24, NOAO hosted an all-day workshop for 22 upper elementary and middle school teachers on their latest light pollution kit on quality lighting for the International Year of Light and the Light banners were featured at the workshop as well.
NOAO associate scientist
June 14, 2015